Rising consumer confidence keeps non-food job market buoyant
Posted on 22-02-16 by Terry Batty
From talking to our clients and monitoring market trends, one thing became clear in 2015 – consumers are willing to splash out on life’s little luxuries again. This of course is great news for anyone employed in the non-food consumer goods sector, or anyone who would like to move into this innovative, diverse and highly rewarding space.
Current statistics really do support this theory:
- January 2016 shoppers spent the most in over two years
- Quantity of goods bought increased for the 33rd consecutive month
- Total amount spent in January 2016 is up by 2.4% compared to January 2015
- Online spend in January 2016 with department stores – the heartland of consumer durable products – increased by 28% compared with January 2015.
- In-store sales over the same period are also up by 6.6%.
So what is leading to this new-found confidence on the high street and online?
- UK employment is at an all-time high of 31.42 million
- Interest rates remain at a record low
- Average wages are increasing
- Inflation remains low
So with more disposable income in their pockets, consumers are now treating themselves to life’s little luxuries. During the downturn it was the finer things in life that had to be sacrificed. Fed up with not being able to afford that new television, that new set of kitchenware, or that new designer handbag, the consumer is now making up for lost time and spending again.
So what does this mean in terms of your career?
Here at Clear Edge our specialist non-food division is seeing a highly buoyant job market. Businesses in this sector are looking to grow again and capitalise on this new found consumer confidence. Our clients are investing in great new product development and are also expanding their people resources. It’s a fantastic time to start thinking about that next step in your career and making the positive change you’ve been waiting for. If you are considering a career change then feel free to contact one of our specialist consultants who will be happy to advise and assist you.