Category Manager – Melon
Our client is an importer, marketer, and distributer of fresh fruits and vegetables to the largest and finest grocery retail stores across the US. Due to growth, they are now in need of a Category Manager to build and manage their Melon commodity. As Category Manager, you will be responsible for achieving annual sales goals and identifying new market opportunities, as well as creating and maintaining a strategic customer base; and developing and maintaining good customer relationships.
Roles and responsibilities:
- Full responsibility for the Melon category
- Build and curate a brand-aligned assortment including SKU mix, design and seasonality
- Build and maintain strong vendor partnerships, working with them to develop sales and promotional plans to meet category goals
- Daily contact with customers of various sizes, building relationships, problem solving and assessing their needs
- Support company growth in sales and procurement initiatives
- Ensure consistent quality and on-time delivery
- Establish and manage retail prices and gross profit margins to meet sales and profit targets
- Source innovative new products, ideas and promotions
- Ongoing data analysis & category reviews
- Work closely with the produce buying team to manage inventory turns and SKU efficiencies
- Collaborate with marketing, product development, produce procurement, and operations on category communication, forecasting and category development
- Maintain awareness of competitive assortments, pricing, and promotions.
- Negotiate direct vendor contracts
- Develop and maintain rapport with growers, shippers, and other vendors
- Provide day to day purchasing and operational support to the warehouse and operations team
- 5 years’+ experience working in fresh produce sales, melon experience desired, with a strong understanding of market trends
- Knowledge of produce varieties, organic growing practices, quality standards, etc.
- Ability to multi-task and work on a variety of projects at the same time
- Team-oriented and demonstrated excellence in direct and cross functional leadership
- Excellent communication (written and verbal), interpersonal and negotiation skills.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, both individually and as part of a team.
- Strong attention to detail and analytical skills
- Proficient in Excel
- Bachelor’s degree with a specialization in business preferred.
Please do not hesitate to apply if you feel you have the experience and background described, or contact Clear Edge for further information.
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
At Clear Edge we are dedicated to promoting diversity, equity and inclusion in all areas of our business.
We understand the importance of creating a workplace where all employees feel valued, respected and supported, regardless of their background, gender, age, race, religion, or sexual orientation.
Our approach to DE&I is integrated into all aspects of our service delivery too. Our consultants all complete DE&I training, ensuring an inclusive approach to working with clients and candidates.
- Role: Category Manager - Melon
- Sector: Fresh Produce
- Salary: Competitive Salary and Package
- Job Reference: AC015372CE
- Location: Florida